Meet Dr. Thornton
Dr. Thornton attended Birmingham Southern College and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in biology/Psychology in 1992. She then attended the University of Alabama Birmingham Dental School from 1992-1996. From 1996-1997 she completed a general dentistry fellowship at UAB Dental School. Dr. Thornton was a pediatric resident at UAB Dental School from 1997-2000.
Dr. Thornton has been utilizing her talent for pediatric dentistry for 26 years. She has held every position in the Second District Dental Society and is an active member of the Alabama Dental Association, American Dental Association, American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry. She is on the House of Delegates and Board of Trustees for the Alabama Dental Association. She is also an adjunct professor at the UAB School of Dentistry in the Pediatric Department.
Awards & Accolades
Some of Dr. Thornton's accolades include:
- Member of the peer review board of the second district-Blue cross blue shield advisory committee
- State Committee for Public Health
- Provides services for the state Hematology Clinic
- Provides care for the patients at Father Purcell’s Memorial Exceptional Children’s Center
- Chi Omega Advisor at Huntingdon College since 2021
- Cambridge Who’s Who Registry of Executives and professionals member 2006
- Psi Omega Fraternity, Chi Tau Chapter member 1996
- Recipient of the Quintessence Award, recognition of Academic Achievement from the Quintessence Publishing Company 1996
A Quote From Dr. Thornton
“Dentistry to me isn’t just a job. It is my calling. I am passionate about caring for my patients and providing quality dental care. I love being able to make lasting connections with my patients and their families. My hope and prayer is to provide an office where kids feel safe and loved.”
- She has 9 dogs!
- She has a pot-belly pig named Penny
- She can make stained glass art
- She is an avid reader
- She LOVES tomatoes
Outside of the Office
Dr. Thornton is a native of Alabama. She grew up in Montgomery and attended Jefferson Davis High School. She is married to Steve, her husband of 27 years. They have two adult children and a bonus child they are raising. Dr. Thornton loves traveling with her family. They raise Boston terriers and have plans to create a breeding program. After retiring from dentistry, Dr. Thornton hopes to own a wedding venue. She attends Church of the Highlands and leads and attends many Bible studies. Above all she loves Jesus!